Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I make a solo 401k contribution if my married filing jointly MAGI is over $129K?

Hello, my spouse is self employed and has a traditional solo 401k account setup. 

I have been trying to enter a contribution for her 401k.  However, since our joint MAGI is over $129K, Turbotax says the entire contribution is disallowed (excess) and creates a 6% penalty, on a 5329 form.  

I have been making this contribution for years and it has been OK.  However, starting in 2022 Turbotax automatically checks off the box that my wife is eligible for a employer retirement plan (due to her being self employed, as she has no other job or W-2).  Turbotax explains that due to this check-off, there is a MAGI-based limitation to my spouse's 401k plan.

I cannot find anything from the IRS website that says there is a limit on solo 401k contributions based on too high of a MAGI. I looked mostly here: Self-Employed Individuals – Calculating Your Own Retirement-Plan Contribution and Deduction. 

So my question is, is my wife eligible to donate to her solo 401k?  If so, how do I enter the contributions correctly?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I make a solo 401k contribution if my married filing jointly MAGI is over $129K?

Here's what Turbotax 2022 says in its help menu.  I have underlined the part that is confusing me, that implies if one earns more than $129K from their sole proprietorship, they can't contribute to their solo traditional 401k at all.

Nondeductible IRA Contributions

If you (or your spouse) are covered by a retirement plan at work, and your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) is above a certain amount, then you can't deduct part or all of your contribution.

Modified adjusted gross income limits

You can't deduct any of your contribution if your modified AGI is:

- $129,000 or more, and you're married filing jointly or a qualifying surviving spouse

How can I tell if I'm covered by a retirement plan at work?

Look at box 13 on your W-2. You're considered to be covered if the Retirement Plan box is checked.

You are also considered to be covered if you are self-employed and have contributed to a SEP, SIMPLE, Keogh, or individual 401(k) plan.

dmertz
Level 15

A 401(k) is not an IRA.  Nothing about a solo 401(k) is to be entered under Deductions & Credits,  so remove what you entered there regarding the solo 401(k) contributions.  Solo 401(k) contributions are entered in the business section.

Thank you!  I had entered her 401k deduction twice, once under her business and once in the retirement section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies