Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ljr2456

How do I know if my minnesota public pension is eligible for a tax deduction with new law??

the new minnesota law does not give specific details for the exemption
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

How do I know if my minnesota public pension is eligible for a tax deduction with new law??

Based on your question, you're most likely referring to the Qualified Retirement Benefit Subtraction.  See the qualifications below.

According to the 2023 Minnesota Individual Income Tax Instructions:

If you received a pension for certain public service, there is a new subtraction for pension income. You may be eligible for a subtraction up to $12,500 ($25,000 for a married taxpayer filing a joint return or qualified surviving spouse). 

Line 29 — Qualified Retirement Benefits Subtraction in 2023 Schedule M1M, Income Additions and Subtractions provides additional information:

If you received certain pension pay for public service, you may be able to reduce your taxable income. To qualify, your pension pay must be taxable on your federal return and paid to you as a member (or for survivor benefits) under plans governed by:

• Chapter 353 (basic member of the Public Employees Retirement Association)

• Chapter 353, sections 353.63 to 353.666 (Public Employees Police and Fire plan)

• Chapter 353E (basic member of the Local Government Correctional Service Retirement Plan)

• Chapter 354 or 354A (basic member of the Teachers’ Retirement Association)

• Chapter 3A (basic member of the Legislators plan)

• Chapter 352B (State agency law enforcement retirement fund)

• Any federal government plan based on service for which no Social Security benefits were earned

• A plan created by another state or its political subdivisions or District of Columbia, if the other state allows a similar or reciprocal subtraction or exemption for the plans mentioned above

Note: You cannot receive this subtraction for pension payments based on service for which you also earned credit toward Social Security benefits and are therefore eligible to receive Social Security benefits based on the same service.

If your adjusted gross income is greater than these amounts based on your filing status, you do not qualify for this subtraction, and you need not complete the Worksheet for Line 29:

• Married Filing Jointly or Qualifying Surviving Spouse - $118,000

• Single or Head of Household - $96,000

• Married Filing Separately - $68,000

Zabina

I do not qualify for this because,  "You cannot receive this subtraction for pension payments based on service for which you also earned credit toward Social Security benefits and are therefore eligible to receive Social Security benefits based on the same service." However,  online TurboTax Deluxe assumes I do qualify. Help! Did I miss the question?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Go back through your state program and deselect the box that it is a qualified public retirement plan. If the box is not selected, the entire amount will go through as taxable.

@Zabina 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies