Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I know if converting some or part of my traditional IRA into a Roth IRA will be advantageous for me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

How do I know if converting some or part of my traditional IRA into a Roth IRA will be advantageous for me?

It will probably increase your tax in the short run to turn it into a Roth IRA. However, in the long run, a Roth IRA may be much more advantageous. There are a lot of variables which we don't know, so cannot give you a firm conclusion.

But you need to

(1) evaluate whether or not a traditional IRA contribution would save you any tax this year (it might not be deductible, depending on your circumstances)

(2) work with an Excel spreadsheet or a financial planner to estimate how much growth the Roth IRA may enjoy over your life until you can start to withdraw from it.

(3) decide whether or not you want to leave an estate (traditional IRAs generally must be distributed over the life of your retirement through Required Minimum Distributions, while Roth accounts don't have to be.

Really, there is a lot to consider here, and I would engage a financial planner to help you ask the right questions. The tax aspect is just one aspect, and if you are young enough, eventually not very consequential.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies