Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Brian15

How do i get social security tax overpayments back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When you have two or more employers and the total Social Security taxes withheld is greater than $7,347 the program will enter the excess taxes withheld on Form 1040 Line 71 as a tax payment (just like federal taxes withheld are a tax payment).  If your total tax payments are greater than your total tax liabilities then you will receive a tax refund for the overpayment.  If your total tax payments are less than your total tax liabilities then you will have taxes owed.

The excess Social Security taxes withheld are not a separate tax refund.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Did you have two or more employers in 2016 and the total Social Security taxes paid was more than $7,347?
Brian15

yes
Brian15

thanks

When you have two or more employers and the total Social Security taxes withheld is greater than $7,347 the program will enter the excess taxes withheld on Form 1040 Line 71 as a tax payment (just like federal taxes withheld are a tax payment).  If your total tax payments are greater than your total tax liabilities then you will receive a tax refund for the overpayment.  If your total tax payments are less than your total tax liabilities then you will have taxes owed.

The excess Social Security taxes withheld are not a separate tax refund.

FYI

Each year, a limit is set as to how much Social Security tax an individual should have withheld on his or her behalf. If an individual has more than that limit withheld, he or she should report the excess on line 71 of Form 1040 (for tax years 2017 and prior).

Beginning in the 2019 tax year, this amount should be reported on Schedule 3, Line 11 and attached to your 1040 Form (this will be automatically calculated by the program within your return based on your entries).

• For 2019, the limit is $8239.80
  • For 2018, the limit is $7,960.80
  • For 2017, the limit is $7,886.40
  • For 2015 & 2016, the limit was $7,347 
  • For 2014, the limit was $7,254
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies