turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter the $3000 taxable retirement income exclusion for Public Safety Officer in Turbotax?

how do I enter the $3000 taxable retirement income exclusion for Public Safety Officer in Turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PhyllisG

How do I enter the $3000 taxable retirement income exclusion for Public Safety Officer in Turbotax?

You can enter the federal Public Safety Officer exclusion by doing this in your tax return:

• Select the Wages and Income tab shown under the Federal Taxes heading
  • Click the "I'll choose what I work on" button
  • Scroll down to the Retirement and Social Security section
  • Click Start or Update next to IRA, 401(K), Pension Plan Withdrawals (Form 1099-R)
  • Begin navigating through the prompts, and select the "employed as safety officer" answer
  • Answer Yes to the health insurance question, click Continue
  • Enter the amount of health insurance premiums (the amount cannot exceed $3,000)
  • Click Continue

The  Public Safety Officer retirement income exclusion varies from state to state.  TurboTax will ask if the income is public safety officer income.  Do this while in your return to determine if the exclusion applies for your state:

• Select the State tab
  • Click Continue and select your State 
  • Navigate through the prompts until you reach "Here's the income that (Your State) handles differently"
  • Under the Retirement heading scroll to Retired Correctional, Law Enforcement, Fire, or Rescue Pension
  • Click Start and begin answering the prompts to determine the income exclusion that you are allowed.

If you do not receive a prompt in the State section to enter the exclusion, then different rules may apply to your state.

[Edited 03.31.19 | 1:49 PM]

PhyllisG

Please refer to the edited version dated March 31, 2019 at 1:49 PM.  I forgot to include the instructions for the federal entry into TurboTax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies