Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jbertrevs

How do I enter a roth 401k contribution when I keep hitting a combined maximum of 6,500? I see Fidelity says the limit is in the 20k range.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

How do I enter a roth 401k contribution when I keep hitting a combined maximum of 6,500? I see Fidelity says the limit is in the 20k range.

$6500 is the contribution limit for taxpayers under age 50 for tax year 2023 for a Roth IRA. If you are contributing to a 401k this information is part of your W-2 and doesn't need to be separately entered in TurboTax.  The exception for that is if you are self-employed and this a Solo Roth 401(k).  Then the information would be included in the Self-employed pension plan section of TurboTax (rather than the IRA contributions). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

A Roth account in a solo 401(k) is not a Roth IRA.  Nothing about the money you contribute to the designated Roth account in your solo 401(k) is reportable as a Roth IRA contribution.

Contributions from self-employment income are entered in the Self-Employed Retirement section of TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies