Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

starm

How come when I enter my 1099 G form my refund decrease

My refund was up 7000 I put in my 1099G form it went down about 2000 less 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Adding 1099G Unemployment Compensation can cause your refund to go down for a couple of reasons:  

• It increases your taxable income
  • It can have a negative impact on the Earned Income Credit (EIC).  This is probably where your return was affected the most.  Unemployment Compensation doesn't count as "Earned Income" but it does come into the calculation of the EIC, in a negative way.  You can click here to view the 2017 EIC Worksheet to see how the EIC is calculated.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Adding 1099G Unemployment Compensation can cause your refund to go down for a couple of reasons:  

• It increases your taxable income
  • It can have a negative impact on the Earned Income Credit (EIC).  This is probably where your return was affected the most.  Unemployment Compensation doesn't count as "Earned Income" but it does come into the calculation of the EIC, in a negative way.  You can click here to view the 2017 EIC Worksheet to see how the EIC is calculated.

Luke3691

This is not updated in the program as the recent law passed will forgive up to 10,200 of taxable income,  

The American Rescue Plan, which was signed into law by President Joe Biden on March 11, made the first $10,200 of unemployment income tax-free for people with adjusted gross income of less than $150,000 in 2020. (The break is $20,400 for two workers in a married couple filing taxes jointly.)

It is taxing me and we made less.

@Luke3691 wrote:

This is not updated in the program as the recent law passed will forgive up to 10,200 of taxable income,  

The American Rescue Plan, which was signed into law by President Joe Biden on March 11, made the first $10,200 of unemployment income tax-free for people with adjusted gross income of less than $150,000 in 2020. (The break is $20,400 for two workers in a married couple filing taxes jointly.)

It is taxing me and we made less.

The exclusion is up to $10,200 for each person who received unemployment compensation in 2020 when filing as Married Filing Jointly.

The unemployment compensation exclusion was updated across all TurboTax platforms, online and desktop, on 03/26/2021.

The exclusion is reported on Schedule 1 Line 8 as a negative number.  The unemployment compensation received is on Line 7 of Schedule 1.  The result flows to Form 1040 Line 8.

Using the online editions - Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

Using the desktop editions, update the software -

On a Windows based PC, click on Online and Check for Updates

The current version is 020.000.1700.  Click on Help>About TurboTax>Version

On a Mac personal computer select Check for Updates from the TurboTax menu.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies