Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I rollover a forced distribution from a 401K to an existing rollover IRA and recoup the withholding upon filing this year's return?

Coincidentally, I initiated an IRA distribution-based 60-day rollover this same year. The IRS specifies limits to rollovers of this variety to one annually.  I seemingly had no control over the forced distribution, and just want to reinvest the proceeds of it without incurring taxes.  I do not qualify for a traditional IRA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How can I rollover a forced distribution from a 401K to an existing rollover IRA and recoup the withholding upon filing this year's return?

I don't know all of that but if you do roll it over be sure to add the withholding back into it from your own money to make it up.  Or the withholding will become a distribution by itself and taxable.
dmertz
Level 15

Distributions from a 401(k) are not subject to the one-rollover-per-year rule.  The one-rollover-per-year rule only applies to 60-day rollovers of distributions from an IRA to another IRA of the same type (traditional or Roth).

As long as it has been less than 60 days since you received the distribution from the 401(k), you can roll the distribution over to a traditional IRA and continue to defer the taxes.  To complete the rollover of the entire distribution, as VolvoGirl said, you must substitute other funds to make up for the portion that was withheld for taxes.  The amount withheld for taxes will be combined with all of your other withholding from other sources as a credit against your overall tax liability and you will receive a refund of any overpayment of withholding.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies