Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

queencelt

How can I file a Claim of Right Repayment Credit for Income Tax paid for tax year 2017 on Social Security Disability Benefits that I must repay in tax year 2018 or 2019?

I received Social Security Disability Benefits during 2017 while participating in the SSA's "Ticket to Work" program. Since I was considered "gainfully employed" for part of the year (i.e., I earned over the limit for receiving benefits), I was subsequently (one year later) denied all benefits for those months. I had already paid Income Taxes on those benefits, which exceeded $3,000. If I pay those overpayments back to the SSA in tax year 2018 or 2019, how do I get made whole again by the IRS via the Claim of Right Repayment Credit for the income taxes I paid on Social Security Disability Income that I had to pay back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I file a Claim of Right Repayment Credit for Income Tax paid for tax year 2017 on Social Security Disability Benefits that I must repay in tax year 2018 or 2019?

Repayment over $3,000.    If the amount you repaid was more than $3,000, you can recover the tax you originally paid using one of two methods. You can do it as a deduction on schedule A or a tax credit on line 73 of the 1040 form if when you included the income in a previous year, it appeared that you had an unrestricted right to it.

Figure your tax under both methods and compare the results. Use the method (deduction or credit) that results in less tax.

Method 1.    Claiming a deduction for the repaid amount. You deduct it as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A  line 28.

This is the flow in TurboTax: 
Federal taxes > Deductions & credits > I'll choose what I work on > Other deductions and credits > Other deductible expense>Go thru to third screen> answer YES to "Did you have any other deductions that are not subject to the 2% limitation?"
Enter the amount you repaid under, "Claim of Right Repayment (Only if over $3,000).

Method 2.    Figure your tax claiming a credit for the repaid amount. Follow these steps.

1.      Figure your tax without deducting the repaid amount.

2.      Refigure your tax from the earlier year without including the income that you had to repaid.

3.      Subtract the tax calculated  in (2) from the tax shown on your return for the earlier year. This is the credit.

This is the flow in TurboTax (This can only be done in the Forms mode of the Desktop version of TurboTax)

Go to FORMS (top right of main screen) > Form 1040 > Scroll below line 72 to "Other Payments and Credits Smart worksheet"
Please enter the credit o line D. 
This credit should show up on Form 1040 line 73
I've included a link to the IRS website for your reference:
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p525/ar02.html#en_US_2014_publink1000229605

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Repayment over $3,000.    If the amount you repaid was more than $3,000, you can recover the tax you originally paid using one of two methods. You can do it as a deduction on schedule A or a tax credit on line 73 of the 1040 form if when you included the income in a previous year, it appeared that you had an unrestricted right to it.

Figure your tax under both methods and compare the results. Use the method (deduction or credit) that results in less tax.

Method 1.    Claiming a deduction for the repaid amount. You deduct it as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A  line 28.

This is the flow in TurboTax: 
Federal taxes > Deductions & credits > I'll choose what I work on > Other deductions and credits > Other deductible expense>Go thru to third screen> answer YES to "Did you have any other deductions that are not subject to the 2% limitation?"
Enter the amount you repaid under, "Claim of Right Repayment (Only if over $3,000).

Method 2.    Figure your tax claiming a credit for the repaid amount. Follow these steps.

1.      Figure your tax without deducting the repaid amount.

2.      Refigure your tax from the earlier year without including the income that you had to repaid.

3.      Subtract the tax calculated  in (2) from the tax shown on your return for the earlier year. This is the credit.

This is the flow in TurboTax (This can only be done in the Forms mode of the Desktop version of TurboTax)

Go to FORMS (top right of main screen) > Form 1040 > Scroll below line 72 to "Other Payments and Credits Smart worksheet"
Please enter the credit o line D. 
This credit should show up on Form 1040 line 73
I've included a link to the IRS website for your reference:
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p525/ar02.html#en_US_2014_publink1000229605

JudyB
Returning Member

Method 1 IS allowed for 2018-2025. See Pub 525 pg 11
besher_t

The repayment section is on page 34. What's on page 11?
besher_t

Can a CPA provide an advice on this? Is Method I allowed? It seems to appear as so on pager 34 of pub 525.

Yes, the repayments are on page 34. This is a current IRS pub. Either method can be used in 2018, unlike what is stated above. I am a TT Sr Tax Advisor and an a EA (Enrolled Agent - same qualifications as a CPA)

besher_t

Thank you
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies