turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrspamman

How are Roth conversions treated (i.e. included in AGI?) with regard to the $1,400 stimulus calculation in 2021?

We converted almost $48K to Roth in our IRA in February 2020. (Admittedly, the timing was not ideal--just a month or so before the pandemic hit the market--but it is paying off in the long run.)

My main question right now, before we file our 2020 taxes (married, filing jointly), is how this amount converted to Roth is treated by the federal government in the context of the recent $1,400 stimulus payment. Is this counted as part of regular AGI? If so, that means we get $0 (over $160K AGI), rather than $7,000 (under $150K AGI) from the stimulus payments for our family of 2 adults & 3 kids. Is there anything that can be done to still qualify for the current stimulus payments?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How are Roth conversions treated (i.e. included in AGI?) with regard to the $1,400 stimulus calculation in 2021?

Yes, taxable Roth conversions will add to your AGI.       There is nothing that you can do to change that after the fact.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

File with status MFS.

Have the spouse who did not do the conversion claim the dependents.

MFS has many limitations and you might loose most of the tax advantage of having 3 children and end up with more tax

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

if you qualified for EIP1 and EIP2, you qualify for EIP3 also.

Don't file until you get it.

You should have gotten it already. most of EIP3 has been direct deposited on 3/17.

@macuser_22 

(7000  - 1400) can make up for a lot of "more tax".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies