Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

haolam
Returning Member

Helping my dad w his taxes (usually for my parents but mom passed away) - he cashed out her IRA, does he have to pay tax or can it be excluded as an inheritance?

They both were 75+ in 2023. My dad received a 1099-R with Distribution code of 7 under box 7 and Total Distribution checked. I tried to choose inherited in the Turbo Tax desktop software but it didnt reduce the amount of tax owed.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Helping my dad w his taxes (usually for my parents but mom passed away) - he cashed out her IRA, does he have to pay tax or can it be excluded as an inheritance?

Sorry, he owes the tax on it.  If it would have been taxable to her then it is taxable to whoever receives it.  Non taxable inheritance would be like a bank account or cash.  

The inherited IRA is taxed because the contributions were tax free. 

dmertz
Level 15

Code 7 indicates that the distribution was from his own IRA, not from an inherited IRA, so TurboTax really shouldn't even be asking if the distribution was from an inherited IRA.  It's his IRA even if his IRA was partially or fully funded by a rollover or transfer from his wife's IRA when she died.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies