Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

haister2k
Returning Member

Have not taken RMD since retirement 15+ years ago.

i am helping my elderly parents with their tax returns and just recently discovered that my father has not taken the RMD since he turned 72.5 some 16+ years ago. I don't know if he has records going back that far. What can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Do you mean that your father has literally taken NO money out of his retirement accounts for all of those years?   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
haister2k
Returning Member

That is correct. He rolled a portion of his 401k into a CD IRA due to a suggestion of a friend of his thinking it was a way to save money for his grand kids. English is his second language,  btw.

This will require help from another very knowledgeable person.

@dmertz    ?????

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

First, @xmasbaby0 is correct.  You should sit down with a tax professional who can work on this for you.

Second, you should contact the company managing the retirement account and ask why they haven't sent the RMD or at least 16 years of notices to your grandfather.

Third, you should remove 16 years worth of RMDs in this year, file form 5329 showing the withdrawal and file a letter requesting a waiver of the excise tax.  

Good luck.

@haister2k 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies