Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acalebw
Level 1

Has my employer withheld too much Medicare tax and too much Social Security tax?

It seems that, even though I made only a little over $14,000 nearly $6,009 was withheld for Medicare and Social Security
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SteamTrain
Level 15

Has my employer withheld too much Medicare tax and too much Social Security tax?

Really?  Is that is what is on your actual W-2 form?   

Or are you looking at paystubs?

That is too much if that is what boxes 4+6 add up to on your actual W-2.  IF so, then you need to take it back to the employer for correction.   

Either it was an entry error on their part and just needs a corrected form (W-2C)....or they need to refund you the extra themselves AND issue a W-2C with the proper amounts.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SteamTrain
Level 15

Really?  Is that is what is on your actual W-2 form?   

Or are you looking at paystubs?

That is too much if that is what boxes 4+6 add up to on your actual W-2.  IF so, then you need to take it back to the employer for correction.   

Either it was an entry error on their part and just needs a corrected form (W-2C)....or they need to refund you the extra themselves AND issue a W-2C with the proper amounts.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.61m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v