acalebw

Has my employer withheld too much Medicare tax and too much Social Security tax?

It seems that, even though I made only a little over $14,000 nearly $6,009 was withheld for Medicare and Social Security

SteamTrain

Really?  Is that is what is on your actual W-2 form?   

Or are you looking at paystubs?

That is too much if that is what boxes 4+6 add up to on your actual W-2.  IF so, then you need to take it back to the employer for correction.   

Either it was an entry error on their part and just needs a corrected form (W-2C)....or they need to refund you the extra themselves AND issue a W-2C with the proper amounts.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain

Or are you looking at paystubs?