Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fulbrightgranthelp
Returning Member

Fulbright Public Policy Fellowship Grant Help

I received a Fulbright grant via the Public Policy Fellowship that should be considered wages. I do not know where exactly to income from this grant on the Turbo Tax form? Is this considered Miscellaneous, 1099? Will this be subject to FICA tax.

I will qualify for the FEIE so will not have income tax due on the grant, but I am not sure of FICA still applies to this award. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. I also have looked over the IRS web page regarding Fulbright grants and it does not directly mention FICA but it does seem like it would apply.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

If you were not a candidate for a degree, then the entire gross amount of the Fulbright grant is taxable and reportable as wages on the appropriate line of Form 1040 as a scholarship or fellowship.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/fulbright-grants#:~:text=If%20you%20were%20n....

fulbrightgranthelp
Returning Member

Does that mean FICA applies?

fulbrightgranthelp
Returning Member

The Public Policy Fellowship is (I think) considered wages not scholarship income. So, this link does not apply. I am looking for someone who has actually filled their tax return or someone elses return with this fellowship specifically.

fulbrightgranthelp
Returning Member

Your response was quite helpful and do you know if FICA taxes will be applied to this?

Most of what was written does not apply.

A fellowship is taxable income, but it is NOT wages, is NOT earned income, and is NOT subject to FICA or self-employment taxes as long as you are enrolled in a recognized degree or post-graduate (post-doctoral) training program. 

However, a fellowship can be considered "compensation" for purposes of making contributions to an IRA.

To get Turbotax to recognize the fellowship as eligible for IRA contributions, it has to be entered via the education interview, not the 1099-MISC interview.  @Hal_Al  has the best info on this topic.

Was that your real question, or do you have other questions?

Further to my previous answer and your comments.

https://fulbrightscholars.org/visiting-scholars/guide/taxes

There is nothing on this page that indicates that a Fullbright scholarship is wages.  Wages are compensation for work performed, and even though you may have duties as a Fellow, anything you do that is part of education or training is not considered work performed.

Furthermore, since this is not earned income, it is not eligible for the foreign earned income exclusion, even if you performed your duties overseas.  If you are a US citizen or green card holder, you are required to report this income and pay taxes on it.  Fullbright indicates they pre-pay the taxes, but you must still file a tax return and report your income and whatever taxes were prepaid on your behalf, along with any other income you might have (investments, other scholarships, side jobs, etc.).  

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Where exactly to report income from this grant on the Turbo Tax form?

A. The income is taxable (but eligible for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion [FEIE]. Where it goes depends  on why you got this income. If it's for your study or research, it's reported as scholarship income. If it's compensation for your services, it's reported as self employment income.

Q.  Is this considered Miscellaneous, 1099?

A.  Yes, if for services . Actually, more like 1099-NEC income.

Q. Will this be subject to FICA tax?

A.  Yes, if for services. Actually, subject to self employment tax (SET), reported on Schedule SE, which is how the self employed pay their FICA. 

Even if eligible for FEIE, the income is still subject to SET. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies