turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8606 and my RMD

I will be taking my first required minimum distribution this year from my traditional IRA. Part of the distribution will include 8606 dollars of which I have my form 8606 to substantiate. When I am doing my tax return for 2019 will Turbo Tax ask me if any of my distribution was 8606 money or already taxed money? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Form 8606 and my RMD

After entering the Form 1099-R for the distribution from the traditional IRA and answering the immediate follow-up questions, click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page and view the additional follow-up questions.  Answer Yes when asked if you made nondeductible traditional IRA contributions, then enter or confirm your basis carried over from your previously filed Form 8606 (usually from line 14 of that form) and enter you year-end balance in traditional IRAs.  TurboTax will use this information to prepare Form 8606 Part I to determine the taxable amount of the distribution and the amount of basis that remains in your traditional IRAs.  If you used TurboTax to prepare your previous-year's tax return, the basis information should automatically transfer when you transfer in your previous-year's tax file, but be sure to verify that the information is there since it's possible to cause TurboTax to discard the information if you make certain incorrect entries.

Form 8606 and my RMD

Thanks for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies