Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For the Iowa return, can't get past the error for Dividend payer being too many characters.

I tried the suggestion to truncate all the dividend payer names to 15 characters or less. Still gives me the same error. For some reason it's stuck on my suffix name, but won't take me to the error.  I had to create a separate file for IA because of the changes. Never had so many issues with Turbo before.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

For the Iowa return, can't get past the error for Dividend payer being too many characters.

@cbeneke1958 

Yeah, there have been some occasional issues with long Payer Names...when too long, and the form is imported from a provider.  Apparently, some of the extra characters slop over into other fields of the forms and that messes things up.

Not sure what is to be done about it, other than the programmers doing some special coding to prevent it, or instructing the Payers as to how better create their special import files with a shorter name.   (Maybe the Payer put tome illegal tab in the imported file...but I'm just wild guessing about that).

Remember this for next year anyhow.  Manually creating the form for 1099-INT and 1099-DIV forms for that particular Payer, instead of importing it.... is pretty easy and might sidestep the issue in future years.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies