turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing Single and my income is just below the $33,000 requirement to qualify for the retirement savings contribution credit. but, I can't enter in any of my 401k info

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Filing Single and my income is just below the $33,000 requirement to qualify for the retirement savings contribution credit. but, I can't enter in any of my 401k info

The Saver's credit is 0% of your contribution if you are single and your Adjusted Gross Income is more than $32000. 

The grant you received that is not used for qualified education credit might be a taxable income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Your 401-K contribution is listed on your W-2 form so if you are concerned about the money you contributed to your 401-K, you simply need to enter your W-2 form in TurboTax.

If you mean you took pension distributions from your 401-K plan, that would be reported on your form 1099-R that you receive from the pension plan company. You would enter that in TurboTax as follows:

1. Go to the "Federal" section of TurboTax and click on "Income and Expenses"

2. Find "Retirement Plans and Social Security" and click on "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans (1099-R)" and click on "Start"

3. Follow the instructions to enter your form 1099-R information

No, I haven't taken any deductions from the retirement fund. But, 2018 was the 1st year I filed that I had contributed to my 401k and it gave me an additional $200 tax deduction. Now in 2019 I have contributed a lot more to my 401k and when filing it says I don't qualify for the tax deduction - just trying to figure out why.

According to the more info tab on TurboTax, if I'm filing single then as long as I have a total income and wages of less than $33,000 I qualify. I made about $31,000.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

At $31,000 you are potentially eligible for a 10% credit. Did you enter your contribution correctly from your W-2? Are you a student?

You're eligible for the credit if you're:

1. Age 18 or older;
  2. Not a full-time student; and
  3. Not claimed as a dependent on another person’s return.

Yes, I had my W-2 info transferred and I made sure it was right, I am a student receiving Pell Grant. I am 21, I am a half-time student, I am estranged from my parents so no one else can claim me as a dependent.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

The Saver's credit is 0% of your contribution if you are single and your Adjusted Gross Income is more than $32000. 

The grant you received that is not used for qualified education credit might be a taxable income. 

Ohhhhh, okay I did see something flash by that said my Grant would be considered part of my income for the year so that puts me over $32,000.

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies