Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

adutson

Entering W-2: Box 14 Local Government Retirement Plan

My wife works for a local government.  Instead of paying into Social Security, she pays into a county retirement plan.  On her W-2, the amount she contributes to the retirement plan is listed in Box 14.  I have been told previously that I am to pick the "Other - not listed" reason for this.  By picking this option, we end up owing a significant amount of money to the federal government.  Is this the case other people have run into?  It almost feels like I should be picking the option that makes it a mandatory state or local tax (which results in us not owing).  Any insight regarding this would be appreciated.  We have already filed and paid for this year.  So, if I did this wrong, I will have to file an amended return.  Thanks.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You have reported this correctly.  Even though contributions to government retirement systems are often mandatory it is not considered a tax.  These contributions are still retirement plan contributions which your wife will get back or receive a benefit from once she retires.  If they are pre-tax contributions then your wife's wages in box 1 have already been reduced. 

Your tax due probably decreases when you indicate that these are mandatory state or local taxes because the amounts are transferred to your Itemized Deductions as a state/local tax.  Unfortunately, this is not the correct tax treatment for these contributions.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
elesia-st

Is this still the case? Are you still owing a large amount every year? I work for a local government that does not have social security only pension and now it feels like I am being penalized for following the system. I owe a large amount. Pension and Insurance are in box 14. Turbo Tax seems confused by not having social security tax withheld when I talked to them. This can't be right....

You have reported this correctly.  Even though contributions to government retirement systems are often mandatory it is not considered a tax.  These contributions are still retirement plan contributions which your wife will get back or receive a benefit from once she retires.  If they are pre-tax contributions then your wife's wages in box 1 have already been reduced. 

Your tax due probably decreases when you indicate that these are mandatory state or local taxes because the amounts are transferred to your Itemized Deductions as a state/local tax.  Unfortunately, this is not the correct tax treatment for these contributions.

msdos62

So which is the correct selection?  Other or ??

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If the categories for a particular deduction in Box 14 is not listed as an option, then you should select the category labeled Other - not classified.

Generally, the Box 14 items of your W-2 are for informational purposes and do not affect your income tax return.

For more information, please see What is box 14 on my W-2 for?

@msdos62

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies