Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does irs get notified of my sep contribution? I made a 2017 contribution in 2017 but also just added more in 2018 (for my 2017) contribution. Anything else I need to do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Does irs get notified of my sep contribution? I made a 2017 contribution in 2017 but also just added more in 2018 (for my 2017) contribution. Anything else I need to do?

There is nothing more you need to do.  Your custodian will handle the necessary IRS paperwork.

thank you but my custodian doesn't seem fully informed.  They are telling me that they already sent out whatever gets sent out for 2017.  I added another $2k to the sep for 2017 but just did that in 2018.  They said they made a note that it is to be applied to 2017 .  I'm just concerned that if something got to the IRS that said $6k in 2017 contributions, then I'm stating it was really $8k because I added $2k, then there will be a flag or a problem.  I know that I will have the documentation to prove it if needed but I would like to avoid having to prove it.

I have had this same discussion with my custodian.  The IRS requires them to track the year you put the money in the account - they send you a Form 5498.  You are supposed to keep track of the year it is for - you do that by reporting on your return.

Thank you, so they don't actually send the IRS the 5498?  We keep track, we report it on the income taxes, etc, and that's it?

Yes.  I know it feel weird, but go with it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies