jamjosiah

Do I qualify for Credit for Retirement Savings Contributions if I was a full time student for three months?

AnthonyC

A student is defined as someone who was full time for at least part of 5 months.  So, if you were only a student for three months, then you would not be defined as a student.  This means you would be eligible to take the retirement savings contribution credit.  Please note that if you are having trouble with this section, you may have told TurboTax in the Personal Info section that you were a student.

Form 8880 - Retirement Savings Credit 

You were a student if during any part of 5 calendar months of 2016 you [and thus not eligible for the credit]: 

• Were enrolled as a full-time student at a school, or 

• Took a full-time, on-farm training course given by a school or a state, county, or local government agency.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8880.pdf

AnthonyC

Form 8880 - Retirement Savings Credit