Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jamjosiah

Do I qualify for Credit for Retirement Savings Contributions if I was a full time student for three months?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I qualify for Credit for Retirement Savings Contributions if I was a full time student for three months?

A student is defined as someone who was full time for at least part of 5 months.  So, if you were only a student for three months, then you would not be defined as a student.  This means you would be eligible to take the retirement savings contribution credit.  Please note that if you are having trouble with this section, you may have told TurboTax in the Personal Info section that you were a student.

Form 8880 - Retirement Savings Credit 

You were a student if during any part of 5 calendar months of 2016 you [and thus not eligible for the credit]: 

• Were enrolled as a full-time student at a school, or 

• Took a full-time, on-farm training course given by a school or a state, county, or local government agency.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8880.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply

A student is defined as someone who was full time for at least part of 5 months.  So, if you were only a student for three months, then you would not be defined as a student.  This means you would be eligible to take the retirement savings contribution credit.  Please note that if you are having trouble with this section, you may have told TurboTax in the Personal Info section that you were a student.

Form 8880 - Retirement Savings Credit 

You were a student if during any part of 5 calendar months of 2016 you [and thus not eligible for the credit]: 

• Were enrolled as a full-time student at a school, or 

• Took a full-time, on-farm training course given by a school or a state, county, or local government agency.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8880.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies