Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cdedelman

Do I need to report a 1099-B transaction which has nothing listed in box 1e for cost or other basis, the basis was not reported to IRS, and it is a noncovered security?

I am not sure it is possible to compute an exact cost basis because I was having dividends from a tiny amount of shares continually reinvested over a period of 11 years going back to November 2005.  Also, Box/Code X is checked, indicating "unknown holding period."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Anita01

Do I need to report a 1099-B transaction which has nothing listed in box 1e for cost or other basis, the basis was not reported to IRS, and it is a noncovered security?

Yes, you do have to report the sale.  I would expect you would be receiving at least an annual statement showing each year's dividend reinvestment and you could add those to your original cost to arrive at a total cost.  You would need to break out the amount of shares purchased through the reinvestment within the 12 months before sale and allocate all the rest to being long-term, meaning a purchase date more then 12 months before the sale.  It only matters that it be more than 12 months before sle.

If the proceeds are a very small amount, you can always just use zero as the cost and pay tax on the full proceeds.  You could mark it all short-term if yoou don't mind paying the tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies