Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file a tax return for a 66 year old deceased parent that made $6000 in 2023?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do I need to file a tax return for a 66 year old deceased parent that made $6000 in 2023?

Since their income was below their Standard Deduction of $15,700 there is no need to file a tax return.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You didn't say how the deceased parent made $6,000. If the deceased parent had $400 or more of business or self-employment income, a tax return must be filed. A tax return also must be filed, regardless of income, if the deceased parent received advance premium tax credit for health insurance from the Marketplace ("Obamacare"), or if the deceased parent took money out of a Health Savings Account (HSA) or Medical Savings Account (MSA).

If a tax return is required, the executor or administrator of the deceased parent's estate is responsible for filing the tax return. If there is no executor or administrator, then one of the deceased parent's children should file the tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies