Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mb121m

Do I have still have to pay GA income tax on my retirement income once I became a Florida resident? Does the Pension source Tax Act of 1996 apply?

I receive a monthly retirement from the State of Ga. I became a Florida resident in 2016, do I still have to pay GA income tax on my retirement?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DS30

Do I have still have to pay GA income tax on my retirement income once I became a Florida resident? Does the Pension source Tax Act of 1996 apply?

Yes, you are correct, the Pension Source Tax Act of 1996 would apply.

Therefore, you will not have to pay GA state income taxes on pension income if you are now a permanent resident of FL.

On Jan. 10, 1996, P.L. 104-95 took effect. This federal law prohibits any state from taxing pension income of non-residents, even if the pension was earned within the state. So you have no GA filing requirement on this pension income

roc12

I am a permanent resident of Georgia but my income all comes from Florida, pension,  Ira.  Does this make a difference when filing state income tax?

@roc12 wrote:

I am a permanent resident of Georgia but my income all comes from Florida, pension,  Ira.  Does this make a difference when filing state income tax?

Georgia taxes all income from all sources so the pension income from Florida is Georgia taxable income that is reported on a Georgia state income tax return,

However, if you are a resident of Georgia and are age 62 thru age 64, $35,000 of your retirement income is excluded from being taxed by Georgia.  If you are age 65 or older then $65,000 of your retirement income is excluded.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies