Do I get a break on my 1099 r distribution due to ...

kealeyg

Do I get a break on my 1099 r distribution due to cares act? Hours were reduced at work

DanaB27

Yes, individuals directly impacted by the pandemic will be able to withdraw up to $100k from their retirement accounts without facing the 10% early withdrawal penalty.

You qualify if:

• You, your spouse, or your dependent are diagnosed with COVID-19
  • You experience adverse financial consequences as a result of being quarantined, furloughed, or laid off or having work hours reduced because of COVID-19
  • You’re unable to work due to child care closure or hour reduction because of Covid-19
  • You experience adverse financial consequences as a result of closing or reducing hours of a business that you own or operate due to SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19.

You can choose to have the distribution taxed over 2020, 2021, and 2022 instead of only in 2020. You’ll have three years to pay back the funds you withdrew, without the amount impacting that year’s cap on contributions. If you pay back the amount within that time, you’ll be able to claim a refund on those taxes paid when you file an amended tax return. Please see IRS Coronavirus-related relief for retirement plans and IRAs for more details.

The 8915-E Form is projected to be e-fileable starting 02/24/2020. Please sign up here to get notified when Form 8915-E is ready.

Once the Form 8915-E is live please follow these steps to enter your 1099-R:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” and enter your 1099-R (if you started this before you should see the “Your 1099-R Entries” screen and will click "edit")
  4. Continue until "Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply" screen
  5. Select "I took out this money because of a qualified disaster (includes COVID-19)" (TurboTax will walk you through questions once this section is ready)

Sshirley21

I've been awaiting for this form but it appears that it is not ready yet. Do you have any updates?

@Sshirley21 wrote:

Form 8915-E, Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments is scheduled to be available in TurboTax on 02/25/2021

Go to this website for IRS forms availability in TurboTax - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html