Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FogRider

Do I check Gross Distribution on 1099-R as "None of this withdrawal was an RMD"? (this amount was reinvested in the same account)?

how do you report a suspended RMD? Is it just reported on Turbo-Tax as "non of this withdrawal was a RMD"/
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Do I check Gross Distribution on 1099-R as "None of this withdrawal was an RMD"? (this amount was reinvested in the same account)?

Correct.  Because RMDs were waived for 2020, none of this distribution was RMD even though that was the original intent of the distribution.

For tax year 2020, I made a withdrawal from an IRA when an RMD was not required. Is there an advantage to call the withdrawal an RMD or a simple withdrawal?  Is there a difference in taxes to be paid for an RMD versus a "normal" withdrawal?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

In normal years the answer is yes.  An RMD not taken, results in a substantial tax penalty (50% of RMD).  You would not want to indicate a normal withdrawal before taking the RMD.  However, this year the penalty for not taking an RMD has been waived.  So your withdrawal is normal with no penalties.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Nothing you your tax return distinguishes a distribution that you received as a required distribution from any other regular distribution.  The tax treatment is the same.  The difference is that a required distribution is not eligible for rollover; TurboTax asks how much is RMD only to determine how much is eligible for rollover.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies