Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Defined Benefit Plan -Voluntary Contributions

I’m a state employee with a defined benefit plan. If I purchase service credits (voluntary contributions to increase payout at retirement and/or retire earlier) where would I enter these contributions in TurboTax? I see info for self employed, but not my situation.

Maybe these contributions aren’t tax deductible? Since my regular contributions are tax deferred, seems like additional would be too?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Right they are not tax deductible now.   I bought more time too.  The plan will keep track of it for you and when you start taking retirement it will be allocated.  Part of it will come out tax free and not  be taxable.  Unless you pay it with pre-tax money like from a Traditional IRA.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Right they are not tax deductible now.   I bought more time too.  The plan will keep track of it for you and when you start taking retirement it will be allocated.  Part of it will come out tax free and not  be taxable.  Unless you pay it with pre-tax money like from a Traditional IRA.

That makes sense. Was hoping to cover part of the contribution with a current tax deduction, but I guess I’ll have to dig a bit deeper. Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies