Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Custodial Roth IRA annual limits for 2023

I understand I have until April 15, 2024 to contribute to my kids custodial roth IRA.  I read that the max contribution is $6500 for 2023 and parents can contribute/match up to what the child earned.  

So does that mean if I child earned $6500 annually in earned income for 2023, I can contribute another $6500, for a total for $6500 + $6500 = $13,000 in 2023?  Or does that just mean the MAXIMUM contribution total of child's earned income + parents contribution = $6500?

What is not clear to me is if I pay them to say, walk our dogs or clean the house, if that counts as earned income.  Or does it have to be a neighbor paying them to walk their dogs or do chores?  Do parent's paying their own kids in case, to do things count as earned income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies

The maximum contribution is $6,500 or the child’s earned income, whichever is less.  It doesn’t matter who funds the IRA within those limits. For example, if the child earned the $6,500 limit, the parent could use their own money to fund the IRA and let the child keep their earnings. 

In terms of considering the child as an employee so that the child has earned income, that is problematic unless the child is able to do “real work “ and can actually be considered an employee. 

So the grey answer is, whether or not a parent can pay their child to do chores.  Some

people say it’s counted as earned income and keep a log of the activities and payment.  But if a neighbor pays my child cash for walking the dog, that is fine?  It shouldn’t matter if cash comes from neighbor or parent.  Teaching a child payment for work is a good thing either way.

Some people say it’s counted as earned income when a parent pays their child in case to do chores like walking the dogs, and to keep a log of the activities and payment.  But if a neighbor pays my child cash for walking the dog, that is fine?  It shouldn’t matter if cash comes from neighbor or parent.  Teaching a child payment for work is a good thing either way.

Treating you child as an employee requires that you issue a W-2 and there should be evidence of payment, like deposits into their bank account. 

What happens if I pay them cash?  I’m not going to issue them a W2 for simple tasks.  I keep a log.

and what happens when a neighbor pays them cash to say, walk their dogs?  They aren’t going to issue them a W2 for that.

The child will have to file a tax return and show income from self employment on Schedule C to count as earned income.

They (or you) can only contribute to a IRA  up to the 6500 max or the Schedule C net profit reduced by the deduction allowed for the ER portion of your self-employment taxes whichever is less.   See IRS publication 590A (page 39 for ROTH) https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf

@VolvoGirl This states that the child only has to file taxes if their earned income for 2023 is greater than $13,850.  

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/taxes/08/[product key removed]e-tax-return.asp#:~:text=Minors%....

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/at-what-income-does-a-minor-have-to-file-an-income-tax-r...

So if they earn only $2000-3000 annually (which is under $13,850), I do not believe that have to report and file taxes.

That is for W2 income and interest & dividends.  For self employment income you have to file for only $400.  You won't owe any income tax on it but will owe self employment tax.

Filing requirements for a dependent.  The 3rd bullet point.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

See IRS 501 page 5 Table 3 Other Stituations when you must file a return.
#3 You had net earnings from self-employment of at least $400.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

@jyeh74 

I think you should get professional tax representation, we are going into gray areas that could get you or your children in trouble, and I don’t think we are competent to professionally advise you.

While it is true that your child would not be required to file tax return for income under $13,000, the question is what will you tell the IRS if they decide to audit your children’s Roth IRA’s.  You are not required to issue a W-2 to a household employee who is your child under age 18.  however, the child should file a tax return listing their household income on form 1040, line 1b.  You are correct that they will not owe income tax if their income is less than $13,000. By filing tax return with the household employee income on line 1b, that will demonstrate to the IRS that they have compensation from working to support the Roth IRA contribution.  Or, if they are independent contractors, such as mowing lawns for neighbors or doing babysitting, they would be required to file a tax return with a schedule C. They do not pay income tax if their income is less than $13,000, but they must pay self-employment tax if their income is more than $400. This would also constitute proof for the IRS that they performed work for compensation.

One of the experts on this forum recently said that the IRS is too busy to track down every little problem with a Roth IRA. I do not endorse this view for the simple reason that, if your child never files a tax return, then the statute of limitations never starts to run. Potentially, the IRS could audit them 80 years from now, and assess 80 years worth of penalties for disallowed Roth IRA contributions if they can’t prove with sufficient records that they performed work for compensation. (Do I think this is likely to happen? No. Is it legally and technically possible? Yes.)

What you do with this information is up to you.

If the child is not an employee (W-2) he is considered self employed.  From the source you cited:

• A minor who earns tips or makes more than $400 (tax year 2023) in self-employment income will typically have to pay Social Security or Medicare taxes, regardless of their total earnings

So if the dependent child has to report and file taxes over $400/year, can the parents still claim the child as dependent on their taxes?

Yes. But if the child files a return it’s very important that the box must be checked on his return saying that someone can claim him. 

Not familiar with the check box.  So when the child files a return, there should be something in TT that asks if child is filing as single or something that asks if someone else can claim him/her?

Do you know how many people make over $400 a year as self employment and not report it?  I bet a few.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies