Solved: Corrected 1099-R changed only box 2b

Corrected 1099-R changed only box 2b

Original 1099-R box 2b for my 401k showed "X" in the total distribution box. In reality, this distrib was an annual RMD that I've been withdrawing yearly as required for the past 4 years and there are funds in this 401k that I will continue to withdraw for the rest of my life. It was NOT a total distribution, but I filled out TT based on what the original 1099-R says.

My 2019 return was accepted 3 weeks ago. Today I get a "corrected" 1099-R with box 2b showing blank, and an apology letter from the company. All the $ amounts on both the original and corrected 1099-R are identical. Do I need to file an amended Fed and State return for 2019 ? Thanks.

Corrected 1099-R changed only box 2b

No, you don't need to amend.  The marking of the Total distribution box would not have had any effect on your tax return.

Corrected 1099-R changed only box 2b

Corrected 1099-R changed only box 2b

Thanks for the quick response !