turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Complicated IRA Re-characterization and Conversion spanning 2018 and 2019

I seemed to have stumped TurboTax's live-help support; I wonder if the community can help. Here's the story:

1. In 2019, I realized that I couldn't contribute to Roth IRA in 2018 because of the MAGI limit, but I did make contributions in the amount of $X1 for 2018. And so, I re-characterized $X1 in 2019 to Traditional IRA. By then the value had grown to $X2. And afterwards, I converted $X2 to Roth IRA. I believe this is a backdoor Roth IRA conversion, and please note the years.

2. In 2019, I contributed to non-deductible Traditional IRA for 2019 in the amount of $Y1. It grew to $Y2. And afterwards, I converted $Y2 to Roth IRA.

3. In 2019, again I contributed to non-deductible Traditional IRA for 2019 in the amount of $Z1. It grew to $Z2. And then, I converted $Z2 to Roth IRA.

For all of the above, I got three 1099-R forms from Fidelity (all of the above were done in Fidelity): 

1. First 1099-R is for $X2 with box 2a of blank and box 7 code of "R".

2. Second 1099-R is for $Y2 with box 2a of blank and box 7 code of "R".

3. Third 1099-R is for an amount of $U2, where $U2 = $X2 + $Y2 + $Z2. This time box 2a says $U2 and  box 7 code of "2".

I already entered all three 1099-Rs into Turbotax, but the third 1099-R causes the amount of taxes due to shoot up. I don't think I should owe any taxes given that all contributions were after taxes. Here's my question:  I was able to figure out how to make TurboTax recognize that $Y1 and $Z1 were converted into Roth IRA (see https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-enter-a-backdoor-roth-ira-convers...). But what how do I report $X1's re-characterization and the subsequent conversion? Again $X1 was a contribution in 2018, but was re-characterized and then converted in 2019.

Many thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Complicated IRA Re-characterization and Conversion spanning 2018 and 2019

x1 is your prior years basis, this goes on your 8606 line 2.

that will fix your problem.

others will tell you to file a 2018 8606 alone, separately.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies