Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

COMMONWEALTH OF MASS RETIREMENT PENSION "How Massachusetts handles income differently..."

I am a 55 year old widow. My husband worked for the Commonwealth of Mass prior to his death.  I receive monies every month from the State Board of Retirement.  I do not know if my husband paid into this plan, was matched by the employer or was totally employer funded.  

I have no idea how to answer the questions in the "How Massachusetts handles incomes differently..." section.

Massachusetts Special Handling About This 1099-R COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS

We need a little more information so we can determine how Massachusetts will handle this distribution.

First, choose the category that best fits this 1099-R. Massachusetts does not tax distributions from the

categories listed below; if none apply, choose "None of the above."

• Qualified government retirement distributions

Examples include receiving retirement income from:

- Military 

- OPM

- Massachusetts State Teachers Retirement System

- Police, firefighters, and judges

• Keogh plan distribution
  • None of the above

My husband was a computer programmer for the department of transitional assistance, but was also in the Coast Guard for 39 years (for which I also receive a pension) not sure what to choose here since this is asking about the retirement distribution from the commonwealth of mass and not the Coast Guard which I think would be federal.

Second, enter any other Massachusetts information. We've filled in any info we already have. 1099-Rs don't

always include state info, but make sure you've entered any Massachusetts-specific info (boxes 10-12)

Massachusetts Distribution Amount

Massachusetts Withholding

Payer's MA State ID No.                                                           MA

Tell Us When This Person Was Born

We need this to determine how old This Person would have been had they lived. We'll use this to figure out whether the IRS required any money to be taken out of this account. Learn More

• This Person was born before January 1, 1950.
  • This Person was born between January 1, 1950 and December 31, 1950.
  • This Person was born after December 31, 1950. (Husband was born in 1955).

What Did You Do With The Money From COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS?

• I moved the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same retirement account).
  • I did something else with it (cashed out, etc.).

Choose which of the following applies:

• I rolled over all of this money.
  • I rolled over part of this money to another account.

I have no idea how to answer the question of what did I do with the money from the commonwealth of Massachusetts.  When my husband passed away all I received from the state was a letter asking if I wanted a lump sum payout or if I wanted to keep it in the retirement acct and receive a monthly check.  I chose against the lump sum.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

COMMONWEALTH OF MASS RETIREMENT PENSION "How Massachusetts handles income differently..."

Retirement benefits from the MA State Board of Retirement are "Qualified Government Retirement Benefits".  Only enter the state information found on the form 1099-R; if nothing is listed in the boxes, leave the boxes blank in TurboTax.  

Select "I did something else (Cashed out)" option when asked. These entries should exempt the distribution from MA state taxes.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Retirement benefits from the MA State Board of Retirement are "Qualified Government Retirement Benefits".  Only enter the state information found on the form 1099-R; if nothing is listed in the boxes, leave the boxes blank in TurboTax.  

Select "I did something else (Cashed out)" option when asked. These entries should exempt the distribution from MA state taxes.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies