Babr3434

Closed on a house but did not make a payment yet.

My wife and I closed on our house early december but did not have to make a payment until the following year in February. Should I have still received a 1098 or how does all of this work?
MargaretL

Although you haven't paid any mortgage interest yet, you may receive the form, if you paid property tax through your escrow account, mortgage insurance or paid any points at closing. If you unsure, contact your lender. 

However, there may be nothing for you to claim on your tax return for the tax year 2016. 

Since you didn't pay the mortgage interest in 2016, claiming your real estate taxes, mortgage insurance or points (if applicable) may not make a difference on your tax return. All those expenses are part of your itemized deductions, but it is often not enough to claim them without claiming mortgage interest.

You may enter all of your itemized deductions into TurboTax, the program will let you know if you are better of using them or using standard deduction (fixed amount set by the IRS) to reduce your taxable income. Next year, once you will have mortgage interest that you can claim, the situations may be different.

I'm including some information about itemized deductions and standard deduction.