Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jenren

parents live in our second home

We bought the house across the street from us for my parents to live in as we don't have space to take them in with us.  They contribute some towards the mortgage and pay their own utilities, but we cover all the taxes, insurance, maintenance, and part of the mortgage payment as they can't afford even fair market rental.  The mortgage is in our name.  Parents are not listed as owners.  Do I have to report this as income?  Is it possible to consider this a "gift" to my parents as it falls below the gift threshold?  What is the proper way to handle this situation on our taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

this is a situation where the home is treated like a second home for yourselves. rental income is not reported. mortgage interest and taxes go on schedule A.

note that there may limited tax benefit since taxes on schedule A are limited to $10,000

and mortgage interest deduction may also be limited 

TomD8
Level 15

I don't see any tax issue here.  You and your parents are just sharing expenses for your second home.  There's no income to report either for you or for them.   And there's no gift involved because you're just paying bills for a home that you own.

As @Mike9241 stated, if you itemize then you can deduct the mortgage interest and property taxes on your Schedule A, subject to the usual IRS limitations.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies