Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you make a contribution to a traditional IRA even when you are retired?

I am 64 years old and not working and drawing Social Security. In addition, I'm taking regular withdrawals from my rolled over IRA accounts. 

By the way are rolled over (401K and Pension)  IRA accounts considered Traditional IRA accounts for the purpose of making contribution in 2019 or do I need to open a completely new Traditional IRA account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You can make a contribution to a Traditional IRA if you are under age 70 1/2 and you have earned income.

If you are only receiving SS benefits and withdrawals from your IRAs, these are not earned income and you cannot contribute to an IRA.

As for your rollovered IRA accounts, they may be Traditional or Roth IRAs, depending on what you chose at the time of roll over. If in doubt, you can ask your IRA administrator.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You can make a contribution to a Traditional IRA if you are under age 70 1/2 and you have earned income.

If you are only receiving SS benefits and withdrawals from your IRAs, these are not earned income and you cannot contribute to an IRA.

As for your rollovered IRA accounts, they may be Traditional or Roth IRAs, depending on what you chose at the time of roll over. If in doubt, you can ask your IRA administrator.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It looks like TurboTax couldn't figure out I do not have an earned income and took me to a point where I had the option of choosing"Pick up where I left off" or "Add the Contribution".
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies