Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmhaynes1

Can you help with my 1099R? I have defined benefit plan, not annuity. Box 1 has an amount. Box 2a is blank. Taxable amt not determined. Why does system refer to annunity?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MichaelDC

Can you help with my 1099R? I have defined benefit plan, not annuity. Box 1 has an amount. Box 2a is blank. Taxable amt not determined. Why does system refer to annunity?

One thing that a deferred annuity and a pension (defined benefit plan) have in common is that their payments both pay out a fixed amount based on a pre-agreed schedule. As long as you enter your 1099-R as described below, you will be fine.

1099-R’s come in two versions.

In the first version both box 1 and box 2a contain #’s. This means that the plan custodian had the information to determine the taxable amount and did so. Enter both #’s, (even if they are the same), and TurboTax will put the amounts on either Lines 12a & b of the 1040A or Lines 16a & b of the 1040.

In the second version, box 2a is blank and, IF there is a box 2b, it will be checked. This means that the plan custodian did not have the information needed to determine the taxable amount. Leave box 2a blank, do not enter "0". Regardless of whether or not your 1099-R has the check box, you should check it on the TT screen since that tells TurboTax that you left box 2a blank on purpose. 

Based on your answers to all of the program's questions TurboTax will compute the "box 2a" taxable amount and transfer it to the 1040 or 1040A.  You don't need to attempt to calculate the taxable amount yourself.

Defined benefit plans distribute their benefits through life annuities. In a life annuity, employees receive equal periodic benefit payments (monthly, quarterly, etc.) for the rest of their lives.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies