rick55441

Can we both contribute to an retirement plan if I am retired, and my wife is self employed and we're filing a join return.

I know my wife being self employed can contribute, but I am asking if we both can contribute.  My income comes from Social Security and width-draw from our retirement  plan.

KittyM

Unfortunately, you must have earned income (wages or self-employment income) to contribute to a retirement plan.  

However, you may qualify for a "spousal IRA".  Please see this article for more information:  Can I contribute to a Spousal IRA

KittyM

Please see my updated answer regarding Spousal IRA's.  There are age limits on contributions as well.
KittyM