Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mae1-

Can I withdraw up to $100K from my IRA in response to the Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2017. I am currently taking SEPP out of my retirement, which are penalty free?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Can I withdraw up to $100K from my IRA in response to the Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2017. I am currently taking SEPP out of my retirement, which are penalty free?

A qualified disaster distribution is not considered to be a modification of the SEPP plan.  From IRS Pub 590-B:

Qualified disaster distributions aren’t subject to the 10% additional tax (or the additional 25% tax for certain distributions from SIMPLE IRAs) on early distributions from qualified retirement plans (including IRAs). Also, if you are receiving substantially equal periodic payments from a qualified retirement plan, the receipt of a qualified disaster distribution from that plan will not be treated as a change in those substantially equal payments merely because of the qualified disaster distribution. However, any distributions you received in excess of the $100,000 qualified disaster distribution limit may be subject to the additional tax on early distributions.

Pub 590-B:  https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b#en_US_2017_publink100073843

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

A qualified disaster distribution is not considered to be a modification of the SEPP plan.  From IRS Pub 590-B:

Qualified disaster distributions aren’t subject to the 10% additional tax (or the additional 25% tax for certain distributions from SIMPLE IRAs) on early distributions from qualified retirement plans (including IRAs). Also, if you are receiving substantially equal periodic payments from a qualified retirement plan, the receipt of a qualified disaster distribution from that plan will not be treated as a change in those substantially equal payments merely because of the qualified disaster distribution. However, any distributions you received in excess of the $100,000 qualified disaster distribution limit may be subject to the additional tax on early distributions.

Pub 590-B:  https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b#en_US_2017_publink100073843

dmertz
Level 15

In TurboTax, report the same amount as eligible for the SEPP exception as you would if you receive no qualified disaster distribution.  Any additional amounts (up to $100,000 additional) would be reported as qualifying for the disaster exception.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies