turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I convert RMD funds into ROTH IRA? What are the restrictions for conversion to ROTH (age limit, amount limit, type of retirement accounts)? Thx

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Can I convert RMD funds into ROTH IRA? What are the restrictions for conversion to ROTH (age limit, amount limit, type of retirement accounts)? Thx

"Can I convert RMD funds into ROTH IRA?"

A Roth conversion is defined in the tax code as a type of rollover, and rollover of an RMD is not permitted.

What you can do is use the cash from an RMD to fund a regular Roth IRA contribution, subject to the limitations on eligibility to make a regular Roth IRA contribution as would be the case with cash from any other source.

The following IRS webpage addresses eligibility to make contributions:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-ira-contribution-li...

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Please check back. I'll page @dmertz.

dmertz
Level 15

"Can I convert RMD funds into ROTH IRA?"

A Roth conversion is defined in the tax code as a type of rollover, and rollover of an RMD is not permitted.

What you can do is use the cash from an RMD to fund a regular Roth IRA contribution, subject to the limitations on eligibility to make a regular Roth IRA contribution as would be the case with cash from any other source.

The following IRS webpage addresses eligibility to make contributions:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-ira-contribution-li...

See IRS 590B IRA Distributions.  Scroll down to….

When Must You Withdraw Assets? (Required Minimum Distributions)

Publication 590-B (2023), Distributions from Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) | Internal Re...

Distributions not eligible for rollover. Amounts that must be distributed (required minimum distributions) during a particular year aren't normally eligible for rollover treatment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies