turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can After tax contribution to traditional IRA be returned?

Hi everyone,

I made an after tax $6000 contribution to traditional IRA account and want to convert to Roth IRA, but the pro rata rule makes the $6000 almost fully taxed again. So I would like the contribution to be returned to my non-retirement account? 

Can I use  "return of excess contribution request" for to request the return, even it's not excess contribution? I know I will need to pay tax on gains, I wonder do I need to pay tax on the return of the $6000 (it's after tax money).

Thanks for your help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If it was a 2020 contribution then you have until May 17 (or Oct 15 if you either file for an extension or timely file a 2020 tax return before May 17) to request that the IRA custodian does a "return of contribution plus any earnings" attributed to the contribution.   The IRA custodian should calculate the earnings.   You will receive a 1099-R with the earnings (of any) in box 2a and those will be taxable on your 2020 tax return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you macuser_22, it's 2020 contribution. If it's returned, do I need to report it on 2020 tax return, or I should wait until receiving 1099-R form and report it on 2021 tax return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies