Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lindsay4

Before I filed with TurboTax, I tried working with a tax accountant, but had issues. Turns out he filed without my authorization. What should I do?

I only found out because my TurboTax returns were rejected.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Before I filed with TurboTax, I tried working with a tax accountant, but had issues. Turns out he filed without my authorization. What should I do?

A paid preparer cannot file without your signature authorization that they are required to give you a copy of and a copy of the tax return.   A rejection that your SSN was already used on another tax return will not tell you anything about who used it.      It could be ID theft or just a mis-entered SSN by someone.

Contact the accountant and ask, but it was probably someone else.

If you or a dependent that you are entitled to claim has already been claimed by another taxpayer, your e-filed return will reject since the SSN has already been used (either intentionally or in error such as a mistyped SSN).

Your only recourse is to file a correct tax return, claiming what you are entitled to claim, then print and mail the return.

The IRS will process both returns and pay any refunds. Shortly (within a year) the IRS will mail letters to both taxpayers asking if their tax return was filed in error and suggesting that they amend if they improperly claimed.

If neither taxpayer amends, the IRS will send a second letter asking for each taxpayers proof that they are entitled to the claim.

The IRS will evaluate each taxpayers claim and award the credit to one taxpayer, the other will have to payback any refund received plus interest and possible penalties.

Do not ignore the letters or you will loose.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
lindsay4

Thanks for your help. The accountant responded - he did in fact file my return without my signature. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Get a copy of the return that the accountant filed.  Compare it to what TurboTax prepared.  If any changes are needed, you will need to file an amended return. 

Do not file an amended return, until the first return  has been processed (you get your refund).

@lindsay4 wrote:

Thanks for your help. The accountant responded - he did in fact file my return without my signature. 

See this IRS article:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/choosing-a-paid-tax-return-preparer

Make a Complaint about a Tax Return Preparer

Most paid preparers are professional, honest and trustworthy. The IRS is committed to investigating those who act improperly. Taxpayers can Make a Complaint About a Tax Return Preparer for misconduct, such as:

• Embezzling a taxpayer’s refund,
  • Altering tax return documents,
  • Filing a return without a taxpayer’s consent,
  • Creating or omitting income to create a larger refund,
  • Creating false exemptions or dependents to create a larger refund,
  • Creating false expenses, deductions or credits to create a larger refund and
  • Using an incorrect filing status to create a larger refund.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies