Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Barbara was always first on the program but since she is not alive any anymore I chose to put my .name first

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Barbara was always first on the program but since she is not alive any anymore I chose to put my .name first

If you always filed Married Filing Jointly, and your spouse passed in 2023, file the same way as you always filed and mark that your spouse passed in 2023. Leave the order of the names the same as always.

If your spouse passed earlier than 2023, enter your name first on your return. 

You may need to enter zero as your prior AGI in order to e-file or you may need to print and paper file the return. 

I am sorry for your loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If your spouse pass in 2022 or earlier then you should start a brand new account for 2023 and not transfer from 2022.  If she passed in 2023 you can not change the order of names.  

You can file a Joint return the year your spouse died. For the next two years following a husband's or wife's death, the surviving spouse can file as a qualifying widow or widower if they have a qualifying child. That basically lets you continue to use the same tax brackets that apply to married-filing-jointly returns. After the year of death if you don't have a child you file as Single. And then next year start over with a new return and new account.

See How to file if your spouse recently died
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/small-business-processes/file-return-spo...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies