turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Backdoor Roth -- Contribute $6K in 2019, convert in 2021. How to report in TurboTax?

I made a $6K after-tax contribution to a traditional IRA account in 2019, intending to do a backdoor Roth conversion. However, I forgot to convert the fund to my Roth IRA. The fund amount increased to $7,500 in May 2021, when I finally moved it ($7.5K) to a Roth IRA account. I received a 2021 1099-R with Gross Distribution of $7,500 earlier this year.

My question is how I should report the situation in TurboTax (Download version). I reported the 1099-R in TurboTax, but don't know how to deduct the original $6K after-tax contribution.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Backdoor Roth -- Contribute $6K in 2019, convert in 2021. How to report in TurboTax?

You should have 2019 Form 8606 with a $6,000 basis on line 14 you will have to enter this when TurboTax asks if you made prior-year nondeductible contributions (steps 11 and 12).

To enter the 1099-R conversion: 

1. Click "Federal Taxes" on the top and select "Wages & Income"
  2. Click "I'll choose what to work on"
  3. Scroll down and click "Start" next to "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan (1099-R)
  4. Answer "Yes" to the question "Did You Have Any of These Types of Income?"
  5. Click "I'll Type it Myself"
  6. Choose "Form 1099-R, Withdrawal of Money from 401(k) Retirement Plans, Pensions, IRAs, etc."
  7. Click "Continue" and enter the information from your 1099-R
  8. Answer questions until you get to “What Did You Do With The Money” and choose “I moved it to another retirement account
  9. Then choose “I did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out money.” and enter the amount next to "Amount converted to a Roth IRA account"
  10. On the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen click "continue"
  11. Answer "yes" to "Any nondeductible Contribution to your IRA?" if you had any nondeductible contributions in prior years.
  12. Answer the questions about the basis from line 14 of your 2019 Form 8606 and the value of all traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies