turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Arizona State Tax Exemption of $3500 on Retired Military Pay. Why Turbo tax doesn't advise user on this deduction when doing taxes? costly error on their part

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Arizona State Tax Exemption of $3500 on Retired Military Pay. Why Turbo tax doesn't advise user on this deduction when doing taxes? costly error on their part

If you indicate you are an AZ resident and former military in the "My Info" section, then after you enter your 1099-R information you will get to a page in the federal interview asking "Where is this distribution from?"  The first choice is "Federal Government Pension".  If you select that you will get the $2500 exclusion on your AZ return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks but the deduction is 3500 not 2500.  Also if they see i get a military retirement 1099r n transfer my info from federal where it ask were you military n thanks for your service then it should alert you of deduction.  even thier question or help area show 2017 deduction of 2500.

I called thier support n want me to pay 90 bucks to ask an accountant, last time using this product .  shame on them

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Understand and yes it is $3500 exclusion for military retired pay and you should select the button labled "retired or retainer pay of the uniformed services of the US" vice the "Federal Government Pension" in the 1099-R follow on questions.    

Jim6620

My wife and I are both military retirees and the AZ portion of the exemptions is only indicating a 2500 reduction. Last year Turbo did it right and indicated a dual military retiree exemption.  Have went back to Federal Income section to ensure that retired military pay are selected for both of us.  Also understand that this exemption is now 3500. Is there a update for AZ tax forms coming?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

1.  Check "My info" section to ensure both you and spouse have selected the buttons for "Former Military" and "Retired" in the interview questions. 

2.  Next check the 1099-R entries. 

3.  Check that you have indicated that one 1099R belongs to each of you. 

4.  Be sure that both the1099-Rs have the button "retired...uniformed services..." selected and the "non-qualifiied plan" button is selected for both.

The go back through the AZ interview to see that both of you have now have $3500 deducted on the retirement pay summary page.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies