turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are you required to submit a 1099-R to the State of Georgia when no state tax was withheld from your RMD?

The investment that manages my IRA did not issue me a 1099-R Copy-2 because they said I did have any tax withheld from my 2018 RMD. Since I'm still required to report the RMD amount received when I'm filing my Georgia State Tax do I not have to submit a 1099-R to the State even though no tax was withheld?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Are you required to submit a 1099-R to the State of Georgia when no state tax was withheld from your RMD?

No -  You do NOT have to submit a 1099-R to GA.  Any necessary information flows from your federal return.

Georgia excludes retirement income up to $65,000 if the taxpayer is 65 or older so it does not matter that no GA taxes were withheld. The exclusion is available for the taxpayer and his/her spouse; however, each must qualify on a separate basis. If both spouses qualify, each spouse may claim the $65,000 exclusion.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

No -  You do NOT have to submit a 1099-R to GA.  Any necessary information flows from your federal return.

Georgia excludes retirement income up to $65,000 if the taxpayer is 65 or older so it does not matter that no GA taxes were withheld. The exclusion is available for the taxpayer and his/her spouse; however, each must qualify on a separate basis. If both spouses qualify, each spouse may claim the $65,000 exclusion.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies