Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MJL6

Are social security retirement benefits my minor children receive because of a retired parent taxable?

Two of my children receive social security benefits because of a retired parent. One has earned income of approx $1500 and the other does not. Are their benefits taxable? They both received back payments from social security of $25000.00 just this month because their benefits had not been paid in error for two years 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Are social security retirement benefits my minor children receive because of a retired parent taxable?

If they only get SS benefits it is not taxable and they don't have to file a return.  If they have other income they might have to file a return and then the SS might be taxable.

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:
Married Filing Jointly: $32,000
Single or head of household: $25,000
Married Filing Separately: 0

Do I need to report my dependent's SSA-1099 on my return?

No. Your child or other dependent would report their SSA-1099 on their own return, but only if they make enough income to be required to file (this is uncommon). If Social Security is your dependent's only income, they most likely don't need to file a return.

In cases where both you and your dependent receive Social Security benefits on the same check, and the check is made out to you, only report your portion of the benefits on your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies