Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abbymaci

Are my social security disability benefits taxable for missouri state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Missouri law allows for a deduction for public pensions, private pensions, social security and social security disability payments and military pensions on the 2017 Missouri income tax return if certain income limitations are met. Individuals may take an exemption for social security and disability social security benefits. The 2017 exemption amount is 100 percent of the taxable amount. 

You may qualify for a complete or partial tax exemption based on your income level, filing status, and age. Please see the qualifications below.

Qualifications:

1. The taxpayer must be 62 years of age or older or receiving Social Security Disability benefits.

2. The taxpayer must meet the income limitations below: 

• Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Separate, and Qualifying Widow(er): $85,000 
  • Married Filing Jointly: $100,000 

If a taxpayer’s income exceeds the limitations for receiving the allowable social security and social security disability exemption the taxpayer may still qualify for a partial exemption. The social security and social security disability exemption must be decreased by the amount the taxpayer’s income exceeds the income limitation. The exemption is reduced by one dollar for every dollar that the taxpayer’s income exceeds the limitation. 

The information above was taken from page 9 of the link below.

http://dor.mo.gov/forms/4711_2017.pdf

k9willett

I am 59 years old, I live in Missouri and I am on SSDI since 2016. Since then, the State keeps taxing my income.

I am filling taxes jointly with my wife. My annual gross income is 24,000. Now, they sent me a Bill Notice saying that if  don't pay the amount due in 10 days, they will take me to the court.

I think that the state should not tax my SSDI benefits. What should I do?

Missouri does NOT tax Social Security Disability benefits.  If on your federal tax return a portion of your SS benefits are taxable, that amount is exempted from taxation on your Missouri Form MO-1040 on Line 8.

Read the instructions for Missouri Form MO-1040 for tax year 2018 - https://dor.mo.gov/forms/MO-1040%20Instructions_2018.pdf

Jmspls72

I just want to clarify. I am doing my taxes for My MO taxes and receive disability benefits from My SS benifets  but no other type of supplement income from the govt or work. TT is asking the amount of disability income included in my taxable social security

Then it shows the amount of federal taxable social security

then ask to enter the amount that is social security disability benefits. Do I put the same amount entered byTT  for the amount  of federal taxable SS  in the box for the amount of social security disability benefits, or the amount  listed on my 1099, or something else

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, if your entire social security income is disability payments, you will put in the same amount entered by TT for the amount of federal taxable SS.This will then exclude your Social Security disability payments from being taxed by Missouri.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jmspls72

Thank you for confirming this information. I just wanted to make sure since I will have to send in a copy of my 1099 and the Social Security administration

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies