Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yabun6623

Anyone know why TT is calculating my Roth distribution from Box 1 and not Box 2? Its taxing my already taxed contribution and earnings instead of just the earnings

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Anyone know why TT is calculating my Roth distribution from Box 1 and not Box 2? Its taxing my already taxed contribution and earnings instead of just the earnings

Please make sure you enter your net Roth IRA contributions in the follow-up questions:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on "Search" on the top and type “1099-R” 
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” and enter all your 1099-Rs
  4. Click "Continue" on the "Review your 1099-R info" screen
  5. Answer all the questions and make sure you enter the net contributions prior to 2023 on the "Enter Prior Year Roth IRA Contributions" screen
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check the actual 1040 form and make sure it's right. Check lines 4b & 5b for any taxable amounts. For a rollover line b should be zero and the word Rollover by it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies