rad400

Am I considered to be covered by a retirement plan if I am 68 of age, retired, not working and collecting a pension from my former employer?

In the federal portion of the Turbo tax questions there is a question asking if I am covered by a retirement plan at work.  With the conditions above, is the answer yes or no

ChristinaS

Its NO. Covered by a retirement plan means you are eligible to make contributions at work.

To contribute to an IRA, you (or your spouse) must have earned income. You are not covered by a retirement plan at work, but is there earned income on your return? If not, you can't make IRA contributions anyway.

ChristinaS

garbo0955

Similarly, I am retired and collecting a pension from a former government employer.   Am I still considered covered by a retirement plan?    I now have earned income from a part time job, which offers no benefits or retirement plan.  Can I make a deductible IRA contribution?
ChristinaS

You are not considered covered by a retirement plan if you receive a pension. You have to have a retirement plan at a job you are working at- or worked at in 2016.