ahb2018

All in 2018, I contributed to my Roth IRA for 2017 then partially withdrew a portion as an excess contribution. Besides 1099-R for 2018, do I need additional 2017 forms?

macuser_22

Hopefully you told the IRA custodian that this was a return of contributions and not a normal distribution  so that they will return any earnings on the excess and code the resulting 2018 1099-R correctly that you will receive next February to report on next years tax return.

macuser_22

ahb2018

Yes, the withdrawal was processed as a return to remove excess contributions. Thanks.