turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lesli8993

I have a 1099R that i rolled over into an IRA. I clicked the "yes" stating that it rolled over. Why on my summery does it show the 1099R amount as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I have a 1099R that i rolled over into an IRA. I clicked the "yes" stating that it rolled over. Why on my summery does it show the 1099R amount as income?

All distributions from retirement accounts, reported on Forms 1099-R, are considered income.  However, the rollover makes it nontaxable income.  Nontaxable income must be included on Form 1040 line 15a or 16a, or From 1040A line 11a or 12a, but otherwise has no effect on your tax return.  In the case of a nontaxable rollover, the amount rolled over will be excluded from Form 1040 line 15b or 16b, or From 1040A line 11b or 12b, and the word ROLLOVER will appear next to the line.

TurboTax's summary shows both taxable and nontaxable distributions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

All distributions from retirement accounts, reported on Forms 1099-R, are considered income.  However, the rollover makes it nontaxable income.  Nontaxable income must be included on Form 1040 line 15a or 16a, or From 1040A line 11a or 12a, but otherwise has no effect on your tax return.  In the case of a nontaxable rollover, the amount rolled over will be excluded from Form 1040 line 15b or 16b, or From 1040A line 11b or 12b, and the word ROLLOVER will appear next to the line.

TurboTax's summary shows both taxable and nontaxable distributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies